- Usdaw Reps are among the best trained in the Trade Union movement.
- Any Usdaw member can volunteer to be a Rep.
- Reps acquire many new skills, eg how to prepare a case and represent members, how to communicate better with both members and management, how to plan a campaign, how to run a meeting.
- Recruiting new members is one of the Rep’s biggest roles. They also represent members in discussions with managers, eg at a disciplinary or grievance hearing. Reps may have to deal with health and safety concerns or offer advice on issues like time off, holidays, pay, changes to hours, company policies and procedures.
- They also acquire knowledge on workers’ rights, employment law, health and safety, pensions, contracts and disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Reps can choose to get involved in the wider work of the Union by attending weekend schools, get-togethers and conferences in your area. They can also opt to get involved in national conferences and directly influence the Union’s policies and priorities. It’s a purely voluntary role and the depth of involvement is up to the individual.
Complete the form below and we'll send you further information about becoming an Usdaw Rep.