We use cookies to ensure that we can give you the best user experience. By continuing to use our website you are consenting to their use. Find out more.

What language do you need?

Benefits & Tax Credits

The more money you have coming in, the less likely you are to have trouble with your payments. Make sure that you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to.

Benefits and Tax Credits

Get a full benefits check

Complete an online Benefits Calculator to find out all that you are entitled to: www.entitledto.co.uk or contact your local Jobcentre Plus office for benefits advice and ask them to do a full benefits check for you.

If you have lost your job the key benefits are Income Support and Job Seekers Allowance. You can make a telephone claim on 0800 055 6688. You can also claim online. You can also claim these benefits if you are laid off in some circumstances.

If you are in work make sure that you are claiming all your entitlements.

People with Children

  • Working Tax Credit - helps working people on low incomes.
  • Child Tax Credit - income based benefit for people who are responsible for at least one child. You don't have to be working to claim.
  • Childcare Tax Credit - help with up to 70% of childcare costs for working parents on low to medium incomes.
Call the Tax Credit Helpline for more advice 0845 300 3900 and to make a claim.

Get an estimate of how much you could get at:

Find out more about challenging a Tax Credit decision.
  • Child Benefit - universal non-means tested benefit.
  • Universal Credit - Tax Credits are gradually being replaced by a new benefit called Universal Credit. Most working people will be much worse off under Universal Credit so make sure your Tax Credits claim is up to date to preserve your rate of payment under Tax Credits.
 Further information can be found at www.entitledto.co.uk


Help with rent: If you pay rent you may be entitled to housing benefit. That is a means-tested benefit administered by your local council.

Find out more at www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/overview

Contact your local authority housing benefit office for advice on how to make a claim.

Help with mortgages: If you’re having difficulty paying your mortgage and are in danger of becoming homeless, you should:

  • get independent advice.
  • talk to your lender about your payments.

Council Tax Support

Usdaw member benefits

As an Usdaw member you are also entitled to:

  • Cash benefits: including sickness grant, permanent disability grant, maternity/paternity benefit, death grant and dispute benefit.
  • Legal Plus service: free advice and representation on pay, conditions of employment, grievances and disciplinaries. Also free legal assistance for any accident in the UK and much more.
  • Health and safety: free advice on health and safety issues.
  • Pensions: free advice on pensions issues.
  • Membership services: special membership offers by well known companies.
  • Leaflets and booklets: access to a full library of useful resources.
  • Managing your money: five basic rules to managing your money and debt.

Usdaw cannot take responsibility for the content of external sites.


Read online: Download:

Free prize draw

Enter our free prize draw to win a £100 Love2Shop Gift Voucher courtesy of Usdaw Insurance.

The official website of the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers