We use cookies to ensure that we can give you the best user experience. By continuing to use our website you are consenting to their use. Find out more.

What language do you need?

Benefits & Tax Credits

Benefits and Tax Credits

Get a full benefits check

Complete an online Benefits Calculator to find out all that you are entitled to: www.entitledto.co.uk, contact your local Jobcentre Plus office for benefits advice and ask them to do a full benefits check for you, or for a free independent benefit check contact your local Citizens Advice.

If you have lost your job the key benefits are Income Support and Job Seekers Allowance. You can make a telephone claim on 0800 055 6688. You can also claim online. You can also claim these benefits if you are laid off in some circumstances.

If you are in work make sure that you are claiming all your entitlements.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a non-means tested benefit for people of working age. It replaces the following benefits:
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
Whether people will be better or worse off under Universal Credit will depend upon their income, housing costs and the make-up of their household but most people with children, single parents and disabled workers will be worse off than they are under the ‘current’ system.

Tax Credits

Now that Universal Credit has been fully rolled-out across the UK, most people can no longer make a new claim for tax credits and have to claim UC instead (renewal claims can continue).

If you are already in receipt of Tax Credits then your claim should not be affected by Universal Credit until either your circumstances change (for example, you stop work) or the Government transfer you. The transfer process is due to start in 2020.

Housing Benefit

If you are of working age you can only make a new claim for housing benefit in limited circumstances including where one of the following applies:
  • you or your partner are pension age
  • you claim other benefits which include a severe disability premium
  • you're staying in a refuge, hostel or some types of supported or temporary housing
Otherwise, you must claim universal credit instead.

Help with mortgages: If you’re having difficulty paying your mortgage and are in danger of becoming homeless, you should:
  • get independent advice.
  • talk to your lender about your payments.

Council Tax Support

Usdaw member benefits

As an Usdaw member you are also entitled to:

  • Cash benefits: including sickness grant, permanent disability grant, maternity/paternity benefit, death grant and dispute benefit.
  • Legal Plus service: free advice and representation on pay, conditions of employment, grievances and disciplinaries. Also free legal assistance for any accident in the UK and much more.
  • Health and safety: free advice on health and safety issues.
  • Pensions: free advice on pensions issues.
  • Membership services: special membership offers by well known companies.
  • Leaflets and booklets: access to a full library of useful resources.
  • Managing your money: five basic rules to managing your money and debt.

Usdaw cannot take responsibility for the content of external sites.


Read online: Download:

Free prize draw

Enter our free prize draw to win a £100 Love2Shop Gift Voucher courtesy of Shepherds Friendly

The official website of the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers