We use cookies to ensure that we can give you the best user experience. By continuing to use our website you are consenting to their use. Find out more.

What language do you need?

Legal Help Application Form (BL6)

You should use this form for WORK-RELATED CRIMINAL PROSECUTION issues.

If you have a problem that does not relate to an employment issue you will need to call the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 or complete our online BL3 form.

If you have not heard from us within 3 working days please contact the Legal Department during office hours on 0161 249 2473.

For non-work related issues, call the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 or please complete our online BL3 form.

For FREE Will writing, call the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 or please complete our BL4 form.

Information on how we process and store personal data can be found in our privacy notice.

Important Notes

  1. Only use this form in relation to work-related prosecution cases, including police or Trading Standard enquiries.
  2. For non-work related prosecution cases please use our online BL3 form.
  3. This scheme does not provide assistance where potential prosecution related to travel to and from work.
  4. Do not send any documents with this form. Keep them until a solicitor contacts you.
  5. The Union cannot be responsible for any expenses incurred in meeting a solicitor, eg travelling expenses or wage loss.
  6. Subject to qualifying for legal assistance and the matter falling within paragraph 1 above, the Union will instruct solicitors to provide you with advice. If the solicitors advise that you have a reasonable defence to the charge, the solicitors will represent you at the initial stages of the case and will discuss funding and whether state legal aid is available.
  7. In all cases you should apply for state legal aid at the earliest opportunity. Usdaw legal assistance is only available to members at the initial stages of the case in the Magistrates Court, until such a time as state legal aid is in place.
  8. If you have a work-related Employment problem then you can apply for full legal assistance from the Union and you should seek help from your Union representative, Branch Secretary, Area Organiser or Usdaw's Legal Department immediately. Please contact your local office for a Member Application Pack for any Employment problems.

* Indicates required field

(For example attend court, pay a fixed penalty, answer bail at the police station)

Contact details for police/enforcement officers
Please fill in the contact details for police/enforcement officers in the boxes above.

Free prize draw

Enter our free prize draw to win a £100 Love2Shop Gift Voucher courtesy of Usdaw Protect.

The official website of the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers