Before you go through to the Government’s ‘call for evidence’ website, please take a minute to read the information below.
Completing the survey
will take about 5 minutes, but we encourage you to give as much information about your experiences as possible as this will help us to make the case for extra legal protections for shopworkers.
Not every question needs to be completed, some are not aimed directly at retail workers, but please make sure you complete the following ones:
First page, first four questions
– our Freedom From Fear survey suggests that violence and abuse against shopworkers has increased in recent years. If this is your impression from the frontline too, this is your chance to give that view and outline some of the incidents that have occurred in stores you’ve worked in.
Second page, only question –
- In your opinion, has the issue of violence and abuse toward shop staff increased in recent years?
- If you agree that the issue of violence and abuse toward shop staff has increased in recent years, please give reasons.
- If you agree that the issue of violence and abuse toward shop staff has increased in recent years, please provide any data which you have to support this (including whether the data includes incidents not reported to the police).
- Please provide any information you have on the nature of violence and abuse which is occurring and specify the type of store you operate/which was affected:
if you have personally been a victim of violence or any type of abuse whilst going about your job select ‘yes’.
- Have you been a victim of violence or abuse within a retail setting?
If you have been a victim of violence or abuse, all questions on the third page
– please select the appropriate ‘yes’ or ‘no’ box for each question and then fill out the text boxes. Please give as much detail as possible, including how the incident made you feel, how it has impacted you and your work since and an honest assessment of the response of your manager, your place of work and the police.
- Did you report the incident to your manager/supervisor?
- Did you report the incident to the police?
- Were you made aware of the option to make a Victim Personal Statement (VPS)?
- Did the police refer you to victim support services?
Whilst you can answer as many, or as few, of the questions as you want, you do need to go to the last page and click ‘finish survey’ in order to submit your responses to the government. Please continue to the Government website to complete the survey here.