Pensions have become one of the most important topics for workers during the last 15 years. The pensions industry has gone through massive upheaval that has seen the collapse of many final salary schemes, the closures of some company schemes and the growth of money purchase schemes.
In addition the laws surrounding the industry have changed significantly too, the most important being the introduction of auto-enrolment in 2013 and its gradual roll out for all employees up until 2017.
Hold a Pensions Awareness Day
Our aim is to get members talking about pensions and making plans for their retirement, even if that is many years ahead. Many reps have run pensions awareness days to promote the issue and give out information to members. You don't have to be pensions experts to run one of these days. Excellent leaflets, booklets and posters are available from your local office or Stationery Department and help and support in setting up the day is available from Usdaw’s experts in the Pensions Section at Central Office.
- Your Pensions Awareness Reps' Toolkit contains everything you need to hold a Pensions Awareness Day in your workplace.
- Discuss holding the day with the relevant manager, agree a suitable date, time and venue – remember you are helping your employer to promote a valuable company benefit, so it’s in the company’s interest too.
- Contact Usdaw’s Pension Section in the Legal Department at Central Office and you will be sent any additional promotional merchandise.
- Usdaw’s Pension Team can also help you liaise with your company’s Pension Department to get specific information, which will help you interest staff at your workplace.
- Remember you don’t have to be a pension expert to hold an awareness day.