To create an account
Twitter Jargon Buster
The @ symbol
- Go to the Twitter homepage: http://twitter.com/signup
- Enter your full name, email address and a password that you will remember.
- Click Sign up for Twitter.
- On the next page you can select a username (this will be your Twitter name). Type your own or choose one that Twitter has automatically suggested.
- Check your name, email address, password and username.
- Click Sign up and then Twitter will guide you through some steps to help get you started.
- Don’t forget to follow @UsdawUnion to keep up to date with the latest news, events and workers’ rights.
is used to communicate with other Twitter users. For example, if you wanted to contact Usdaw or reply to one of Usdaw’s tweets you would have to include @UsdawUnion in your message. This way Usdaw will see your tweet.
are a huge part of Twitter. They help to organise tweets into categories. For example, if you type #Usdaw in the Twitter search bar you’ll be able to see all the tweets where #Usdaw has been mentioned.
A RT (or retweet)
is the equivalent of forwarding an email or a text, if you like it, you might decide to share it with your followers.
For more information on using Twitter visit their help centre: https://support.twitter.com/categories/281