Usdaw Legal Plus is one of the great benefits of being an Usdaw member, but did you know that that family members can benefit too.
- It does not matter how long you have been in Usdaw - there is no 'waiting period'.
- You must be in membership when the accident or incident happens - so the quicker you join, the quicker you are covered!
- You must keep up-to-date with Union contributions.
- It does not matter how much you earn or what hours you work.
- You must observe the rules of the Usdaw Legal Plus service.
- Members of your family in your household can benefit from Usdaw's legal services provided you remain in membership and keep up-to-date with your contributions.
- They can benefit from the full Legal Plus service for road traffic accident claims.
- They can have advice from a solicitor on any legal problem not related to work with special rates for follow-up work.
- They can share the benefit of Usdaw's competitive conveyancing and other legal services.
- Partners of Usdaw members can share the benefit of our free Will writing service.
Legal assistance is granted at the discretion of the Union and members must comply with the rules of the scheme set out in the Members Handbook.
Legal Plus provides a great range of legal services which include:
- Accidents any time and any place in the UK - not just at work or going to and from work.
- Road traffic accidents.
- Work-related conditions or diseases.
- Slipping and tripping.
- Injuries caused by violent crime or armed robbery.
- Family members living with you are also fully covered if they're injured in a road traffic accident.
Usdaw Legal Plus covers work-related diseases and conditions like repetitive strain injury, deafness, occupational asthma and dermatitis.
Fast, expert help is only a free call away - 0800 055 6333
NO FORMS, NO FUSS, NO DELAY
If you're a victim of violence use FirstCall Usdaw on 0800 055 6333 to start your claim.
Usdaw Legal Plus helps members claim compensation from the CICA - Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority - which is a state funded scheme. For further information Usdaw Guide to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA 001) is available to download.
In order to qualify you must:
- Personally report the incident to the police straight away and get a crime reference number. Usually, it's not enough if someone else reports it, such as a relative, friend or employer.
- See a doctor immediately for treatment of physical injuries as well as psychological ones such as stress or shock.
For more information Stopping Violent Crime at Work (Poster) is available to download.
Usdaw Representatives and Officials are ready to help you resolve any type of employment problem, including:
- Contract claims.
- Equal pay.
- Family friendly rights.
- Part-time workers' rights.
- Unlawful deductions.
- Minimum wage.
We'll try to settle the problems using your usual company procedures. By law, your employer must allow your Usdaw rep to come with you to all disciplinary and grievance hearings.
If we can't sort out the problem this way, your Usdaw team will advise you about taking the case further.
Our full-time officials (Area Organisers) and the Usdaw Legal Department provides the advice and representation in employment tribunal cases.
Tribunal claims must be lodged within strict time limits - normally within three months less one day from the date of dismissal or cause of complaint. You are responsible for making your claim in time, so speak to your Usdaw rep as soon as you know you have a problem. Make sure you always follow the company grievance and appeal procedures.
For help and advice about an employment problem contact the Usdaw rep in your workplace. Your local Usdaw office can be reached on 0800 030 80 30.
As a member, if you're prosecuted for something in the course of your work, we'll instruct solicitors to advise on your defence. If there is a defence, we will instruct them to represent you until State Criminal Legal Aid can be arranged. For work-related prosecutions, please call the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 or complete our online BL6 form.
If you and your family are facing criminal charges not related to work, you're entitled to free legal advice from an Usdaw solicitor. To arrange this, please call the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 or complete our online BL3 form.
It's important for your family and your own peace of mind that your affairs are in order before you die. If you want your property to pass to the people you choose, it's essential to make a Will. Every Usdaw member, and their partner, can make a Will free of charge through Usdaw solicitors.
New members benefit from our free Will writing service as soon as they join Usdaw - saving around £100-200. If your affairs are especially complex the solicitors may need to charge, but they'll discuss this with you beforehand.
To take advantage of our free Will writing service, please call the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 or use our BL4 form.
Sorting out probate matters when someone dies can be stressful. Our Usdaw solicitors can provide you with sympathetic and professional advice at special, favourable rates.
To benefit from the probate service use please call the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 or complete our online BL3 form.
Buying a house or a flat is a long-term financial commitment and may be one of the most important steps in your life. Usdaw solicitors will deal with all stages of your property transaction professionally and efficiently, at favourable rates for Usdaw members.
You'll receive a written quotation at the outset, so you won't have any unwelcome surprises.
To take advantage of this service, please call the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 complete our online BL3 form.
Usdaw's Legal Plus service doesn't stop when you clock off work. You're entitled to free advice about any non-work related legal problem. For example, you may have:
- Bought a car or a washing machine that simply isn't up to standard and the salesman refuses to do anything about it.
- A dispute with your landlord, the council, or with nuisance neighbours.
- A matrimonial or other family problem at home, or want advice about debts. If there's more legal work required after you've received our solicitors' advice, they'll offer you special terms.
For non-work related problems, please call the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 or complete our online BL3 form.
Road traffic accidents
If a family member living with you is injured in a road traffic accident, they are fully covered by Usdaw Legal Plus. Call FirstCall Usdaw on 0800 055 6333 to make a claim.
Family members injured in other accidents can receive free initial advice from an Usdaw solicitor by calling the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 or completing our online BL3 form (but not for an accident at work if they should have been an Usdaw member).
They are also entitled to free advice for any other problem not related to work.
Remember, you and your partner are also entitled to our free Will writing service, by calling the Legal Department on 0161 249 2473 or by using our BL4 form.
Usdaw Legal Plus helps members and their families.
Usdaw Legal Plus is free from the day you join.
If you win your case you get to keep 100% of your compensation unlike many high street solicitors who may take up to 25% from you. There are no hidden legal costs with us either.
Usdaw Legal Plus works for people not for profits.
Usdaw Legal Plus is delivered through the Usdaw team of reps, officials and professionals in the Usdaw Legal Department backed by a nationwide network of solicitors.
Usdaw's solicitors are experts in work-related accident and disease cases and are committed to the work of the Union.