About the campaign
Usdaw surveyed over 10,500 members to understand the issues they face as a result of low pay, short-hours contracts and insecure work. Our evidence shows:
- Over the past five years, 92% of those surveyed have seen no improvement in their financial situation.
- Over the past 12 months 76% of low-paid workers have had to rely on unsecured borrowing to pay everyday bills.
- 63% of people believe that financial worries were having an impact on their mental health.
Key Campaign Actions
Our campaign is calling for key actions to address the issues faced by low-paid workers. These actions are:
- Minimum £10 per hour from the age of 18 years.
- Minimum contract of 16 hours per week for everyone who wants it.
- A contract based on an individual's normal hours of work.
- An end to misuse of zero hours contracts.