Dave Gill – Usdaw National Officer says:
“Following our ground-breaking pay deal in January we have been in discussion with the company to increase the pay rates of Argos colleagues in outer London.
“I am pleased to confirm that there will be an increase to pay rates for all Argos hourly paid colleagues in outer London, to £11.05. This will mean that Sainsbury’s and Argos retail colleagues who work in both the inner and outer London bandings will receive £11.05 per hour.
“This rise is another step forward for the union’s New Deal for Workers campaign.”
Usdaw’s New Deal for Workers calls for:
Notes for editors:
Usdaw (Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers)
- A minimum wage of at least £10 per hour for all workers, ending rip-off youth rates and providing a living wage.
- Minimum contract of 16 hours per week, for everyone who wants it, that reflects normal hours worked and a ban on zero-hour contracts.
- Better sick pay for all workers, from day one, at average earnings.
- Protection at work – respect for shopworkers, abuse is not a part of the job.
- A proper social security system, Universal Credit does not provide a safety net.
- Job security, with day one employment rights for unfair dismissal and redundancy.
- Fair treatment and equality for all workers, including equal pay.
- A voice at work, stop rogue employers refusing to engage with trade unions and end ‘fire and rehire’.
is the UK's fifth biggest trade union with around 360,000 members. Most Usdaw members work in the retail sector, but the union also has many members in transport, distribution, food manufacturing, chemical industry and other trades.
For Usdaw press releases visit: http://www.usdaw.org.uk/news
and you can follow us on Twitter@UsdawUnion